From 2014 every child in Key stage 2 will have an entitlement to study a foreign language.
At St Albans, the modern foreign language we study is French.
We follow the National curriculum and utilise the KS2 Framework for Languages as the basis for implementing the requirements of the programme of study. Lessons are planned from the Jolie Ronde Scheme of Work, supplemented with other materials to ensure progression.
We aim to introduce KS2 children to French in a way that is enjoyable and fun. Lessons will include:
- Playing games and learning songs.
- Using ICT and interactive resources.
- Using language taught in role play situations.
- Researching and learning about life in France and French speaking countries.
- French will be included in displays.
- French will be included in whole school occasions, e.g. Christmas celebrations and summer concerts.
Link to the National Curriculum: