This week we are launching Class Dojo. Your parents should have received your log in details via text message. I feel this platform will help me set tasks, help you share the great work you’re doing and help parents ask me questions much quicker.
For this week, the tasks will continue to be on this page. Eventually we will be shifting everything over to Class Dojo so it is all in one place.
TASK 1 = If they have not already, I want your parents to register with Class Dojo. So far I can see that 10 parents have signed up for our class page.
TASK 2 = After the parent has signed in, the children can sign in as a themselves. They need the six digit code (ESFJHK) in order to do it.
TASK 3 = When uploading work, can you please upload via the Portfolio tab within Dojo
TASK 4 = Can you please read the post within the Class Story tab within Dojo.
Each of you was sent with a pack of 3 x 10 minute tests. The great thing about these tests is they have the answers on the back so you can mark your work as soon as you have done them. I am not going to include these as part of the daily tasks. I would like these to be used as ‘optional extras’ should you want to do more learning if you have finished the daily tasks. Please only do 1 optional extra test per day.
You can download the pdf version of the book here The Hobbit byJ RR Tolkien EBOOK
You can get other versions of the book here https://openlibrary.org/books/OL26757374M/The_Hobbit
Ask an adult in your house if they have a copy. It is currently £5.82 on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-J-R-Tolkien/dp/0007458428/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+hobbit&qid=1584953281&sr=8-2
You can also get it for free as an audio book https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hobbit/dp/B002SQD0EW
WEEKLY TASK = This week you will be reading Chapter 3.
MONDAY = As the company journey further and further, I want you to keep track of where they are going and where they have been.
Here is a picture of the area of Middle Earth where they are travelling.
- Can you find Hobbiton in the Shire where Bilbo is from?
- Can you find the Great East Road which they try to follow?
- Can you find Trollshaw where the company encounter the Trolls?
- Where do you think the company might be heading?
If you visit this page http://lotrproject.com/map/#zoom=4&lat=-1129.5&lon=1239&layers=BTTTTTTTT. They have a wonderful interactive map of Middle Earth. You can zoom in and out. If you click on ‘paths’ on the right hand side you can click on The Hobbit and a blue line showing their route will appear.
- Q1) What is the name of the mountain range that the company must get through, or over, or under? The Misty Mountains
- Q2) What is the name of the dragon that guards the treasure? Smaug
- Q3) Whose house is Gandalf leading them towards? Elrond
- Q4) Why is Rivendell hard to find? It is hidden or It is deep in a valley or There were lots of dark ravines it could be hidden in or There were very few landmarks to know where you are
- Q5) Write a thought bubble for Bilbo in the first few pages of chapter 3. What are his thoughts and feelings? This is a 3 mark questions. 1 mark for potential dangers, 1 mark for lack of food, 1 mark for feeling tired, 1 mark for missing his bed/home, 1 mark for amazement at the size of the misty mountains.
I wanted to share these images of Rivendell (Home of Elrond and our first encounter with Elves).
We are introduced to our 4th race within the world of Middle-Earth: Elves. In our writing we are going to create our own magical creature. I would like you to choose one of the four races we have encountered so far (Trolls, Hobbits, Dwarves & Elves) and write a description of them. Include what they look like, where they live, what their personalities are like, what clothes they wear and anything else you have found out. Please share it on your portfolio.
THURSDAY = These questions are in the middle of the chapter
- Q1) What do dwarves think of the Elves? Dwarves don’t get on with Elves or They find them foolish or They get annoyed with them.
- Q2) Why did Bilbo want to have a private word with the Elves? To find out how they know his name and all about him or to find out their opinion on his adventure or Elves are wondrous folk for news.
- Q3) In the text it says ‘There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet’. What is a parapet? You may use in the internet to find out. A low wall or railing found on the side of a roof, bridge or balcony.
- Q4) The Elves are a little rude / cheeky to Thorin and Bilbo as they crossed. What two things did they say? “Don’t dip your beard in in the foam, father!” and “Mind Bilbo doesn’t eat all the cakes!”
- Q5) How long did the company spend at the last homely house. 14 days at least
- Q6) This is the first time in the story that Bilbo does not wish to be back in his Hobbit hole, why?Any explanation of how wonderful the last homely house is, e.g. comfy, good company, Elrond as a good host, warm, cosy, lots of food.
- Q7) Tolkien uses similes to describe Elrond. He compares him to Dwarves, Elves, Men & Wizards. Why do you think he describes him this way. To emphasise how important or powerful Elrond is. He is more important that other Elves or creatures.
FRIDAY = At the end of the chapter we are introduced to Dwarven runes. Tolkien created entire languages for his books which was a lot of work. I have a message in Dwarven runes I would like you to translate. I would then like you to write your own message for me using dwarven runes and I will try and decipher it.
Over the next few weeks we are going to be writing a non-chronological report (NC Report) on a magical creature. We have met several so far in The Hobbit: Dwarves, Hobbits, Trolls and Wizards with many more to come. In our Narnia worked we also encountered many magical creatures: Unicorns, Centaurs, Minotaurs, Ghouls, Witches, Driads, Nymphs and Fauns to name a few.
TUESDAY = I have found 3 W.A.G.O.L.Ls (What A Good One Looks Like). I would like you to read them and write down what you think should go into our NC report on magical creatures.
W.A.G.O.L.L. 1 Alien Academy
W.A.G.O.L.L. 2 Animal Reports
W.A.G.O.L.L. 3 Blast-ended-skrewt
Looking at the work uploaded via your portfolios, this is going to be our checklist for our NC Report
WEDNESDAY = Can you research a magical creature of your own choice (Dragon, centaur, unicorn etc.) I would like you to answer the following questions on your chosen creature:
What does your creature look like?
What real life animal could your creature be compared to?
What magical element does your creature have?
Does your creature speak a language?
How does you creature move?
Is your creature considered dangerous?
Is your creature a carnivore or herbivore?
THURSDAY = Today I would like you to create your plan for your magical creature. There are three different ways you can start. 1 = think of a name. 2 = draw a picture of it. 3 = create your plan. I want you to do all three but it is up to you which order you do them in.
- Consider using Latin or Greek in your name. Many fantastic creatures in mythology have Latin or Greek-based names. Using ancient language is a way to name your creature based on attributes without the name sounding silly.
- For example, in Latin, the word “inpennatus” means feathered. So, if your creature can fly, you might name it Inpennatus, or a variation of the word, like Pennatus.
- Another way of coming up with a name is taking two simple words like ‘lamp’ and ‘mattress’ and merging them together to create ‘Lampress’.
There will be 5 paragraphs in our NC report:
- Introduction = Introduce the creature. Give basic facts. Try to sum it up briefly.
- Appearance = What does it look like e.g. wings, hooves, eyes, colour, size, smell, child vs. adult, male vs female.
- Habitat = Where does it live, where can it be found, why does it live there, is it built to live there (like a polar bear for the cold or the fish for the sea).
- Diet = What does it eat? How often does it eat? It is a carnivore or a herbivore?
- Conclusion = We will discuss this in detail at a further date.
Friday = Before we start writing our NC report on our made up creature I want us to think about some of the technical language we might want to use in our NC report. Can you find a definition for each of these technical words:
- Life span
Can you read through the WAGOLLs again and pick out key words that we can use in our own writing. Send them to me and I will create word mat like I did in class.
Can you find the collective nouns for the following five creatures: Frogs, Monkeys, Rabbits, Owls and Crows. You might want to think about a collective noun for your creature.
For the next couple of weeks, we will be using Espresso Education for our spelling. Espresso is the same company that do coding. The log in is exactly the same as coding. We are going to start by looking at Homophones.
There is a video I want you to watch https://central.espresso.co.uk/espresso/primary_uk/subject/module/video/item709252/grade2/module709257/index.html
Maths is moving to https://login.mymaths.co.uk/login. You need to log into ClassDojo where I have messaged your personal log in details.
For each MyMaths task, there are two parts: ‘Lesson’ and ‘Online Homework’. The lesson is in numbered sections that will help you understand what is needed for the online homework section so do that first.
MONDAY = Place Value Beyond 10,000
TUESDAY = Very Big Numbers
WEDNESDAY = Rounding & Accuracy
THURSDAY = Negative Numbers in Context
FRIDAY = Negative Numbers 2
ONGOING TASK = Every day I would like you to pick either TT Rockstars of Relfex Maths and spend at least 10 minutes on them.
Click on the picture to go to the TT Rockstars log in page
Click on the picture to go to the Reflex Maths log in page
We have done a lot of work on Espresso Coding. We are going to start our third unit: Random Numbers and Simulations.
TASK 1 = Can you do the lesson ‘Random Numbers’
TASK 2 = Can you do the lesson ‘Weather Forecast’
TASK 3 = Can you do the lesson ‘Robotic Poetry’
TASK 4 = Can you do the lesson ‘Once (or twice) upon a time’
Or Click here to go directly to the new unit https://tinyurl.com/y7v9swxz
Username = student27416
Password = student